Monday, March 30, 2009

Family

For our combined fifth sunday meeting yesterday The Bishop, and a few others he had asked to help, talked about family home evening and different things that have worked for them. Several of them had such great ideas that I thought I'd share and if anyone has things that have worked well for them please leave a comment.

Mary Shumway had a great way to get her teenagers excited about fhe as well as include all of her kids who no longer live at home. I won't be able to do this quite yet because my kids are too young and cell phoneless (I know I'm so mean) but I thought we would try to do a version of it without the phones. Starting last spring the Monday after conference she started a trivia game to see who learned the most from conference. She texts all her kids (including the two in her house) a question about conference. They all then text back and anyoen who gives the right answer gets a point. They continued the tradition last fall and are planning the third round next week. I thought it was a great way to include your whole family when they start moving way to college.

Derek Bethea said that they always do a lesson on Sunday night and an activity on Monday night. Sunday after the lesson they decide as a family what the activity will be so that makes the kids excited for the Sunday night lesson because they know they will decide what they'll be doing the next day.

After the meeting I got thinking about the fact that my kids still LOVE doing things as a family and in a few years they probably won't be quite as excited so I need to take full advantage of this time before it's gone. I decided to take both of their ideas and change them a little to work with my family. If anyone else has good ideas for things that have worked for them, or if you have certain family activities that your kids love, please leave them in a comment.

1 comment:

melandriley said...

I like the Sunday-Monday idea.