Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Hillman TRYathlon


Last summer I decided that I wanted to TRY a triathlon (yes Kulani I do know how to spell it correctly). I took a swimming class and started preparing for the Hillman- a local sprint triathlon that takes place at recapture reservoir every July. When I realized that the triathlon was the same weekend as a previously planned family reunion I decided I'd have to wait until this summer. A few months ago I started training again and in the process I convinced Marilyn, Jeremy and Noelle to come and do it with me (both Jeremy and Noelle had done other triathlons this summer). By the time the day came around I was questioning my decision as I didn't feel ready at all. Marilyn and I agreed that we would stay together so that if we ended up last we wouldn't have to finish last all alone. My total goal for this triathlon was to finish, I decided that I didn't care at all what my time or place was and I took it pretty easy the whole time. I mostly didn't want to hate it cause then I knew it would be my last. It started with a 1/2 mile swim (across the reservoir and back) followed by a 15 mile, very hilly, bike ride followed by a 5K, also very hilly, run. In the end I think we all had a good time and Marilyn has even forgiven me for coaxing her into it, and we're all looking forward to the next one.



Waiting for the race to begin- nervously. At this point Marilyn was not happy with me.

Finished swimming- and yeah I know there aren't really any other people around me, there were still a couple in the water but everyone else was on to the bike.
Jeremy was on the support staff and was in the lake to make sure I didn't die.



Finishing the bike.
And lastly the run- Here we come (a little blurry cause we're going so fast :)


We made it and Marilyn forgave me.



We had quite the crowd cheering for us- the kids got a little bored waiting.





Noelle beat us all and took first in her age group (why did she have to get all of the athletic ability of the family again???)


Jeremy J finishing. Shortly after we finished he got a call from Heather letting him know he needed to get home asap. He made it there about two hours before little McCoy was born- congrats to both of them.


My niece Jensen did the kid's triathlon the night before and did awesome. She took second (losing only to a Hiatt so pretty much that doesn't count). She did two laps in the pool followed by a two mile bike ride followed by a one mile run. At first I was asking why we didn't just sign up for that one but after watching them all I was pretty sure they would have beat me and that would have been a little embarrassing. I'm hoping that next year I can get Camryn and Carter to do it- we'll see.

4 comments:

melandriley said...

Good job Kristi. I remember watching that race many a time in my youth. Maybe next year I'll come do it with you.

Fish said...

"We're all looking forward to the next one." Awesome. Have that goofy Steve put it on a day that's not the Spudman and we'll head down as well.

Jenn C. said...

Good job Kristi. You and your family are such good examples for all of us lazy people. I need to get some energy like all of you! Congrats!

Unknown said...

Good job Kristi! I admire anyone who is in shape.