Sunday, September 21, 2008

My little heartbreaker

Here is the conversation between me and Carter last week when I picked him up from school:

Carter- Mom, I need to tell you something. (much nervousness in his voice)

Me- What? (waiting to here what he had done wrong)

Carter- Today Tyler told me that she secretly liked me.

Me- (relief) Well, it doesn't sound like it's a secret any more.

Carter- that's not the problem, I didn't tell her about Julia. (his "girlfriend" of several years, she moved to Moab a year and a half ago but they have continued the long distance relationship)

Me- You probably don't need to tell her about Julia.

Carter- Well mom, now I'm going to have to break up with one of them.

Me- It's probably Ok to have two girlfriends in first grade.

Carter- It is??? YES!!!

Seriously, he's six!!! What do I have ahead of me?

5 comments:

Stacy and family said...

What I love about that story is that first he was willing to talk to you about it, and second he was considering the feelings of the girls! You are raising such a considerate gentleman, and one who is able to express his emotions too. Well done!

Heats said...

Carter is so cute, I am sorry to say you will prolly have alot more girls to worry about than 2!

Bev said...

OK, I disagree with Stacy's comment. I think you are raising an egotistical man whore! Don't let him think it's OK to be playing two women at once! Seriously, is it OK to have ONE girlfriend in first grade?! What parenting book did you read?!

Anonymous said...

HAHA!!! Yes! That may be the best thing I have heard all week. I love Carter!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh oh. I knew this kid was trouble from the minute he was born! Like his grandmother and I always say, "It's a good thing he's cute!" Oh, wait, maybe that's why he already has girl problems. I can't wait for the rest of the story. And with Carter you never have to wait long.