Friday, November 14, 2008

How sweet it is

Lately yogi has been having SUCH a hard time going to sleep. I'm not sure if he's inherited my inability to fall asleep without 30 minutes of complete silence and darkness or if he's ready to not take a nap (which by the way I'm not ready for) or if he's inherited his dad's distaste for being told what to do. Whatever the reason, we have had a struggle every night for quite a while. The other night we thought he had finally given in and gone to sleep and so as I went to bed I stuck my head in his room and this is what I found:



He had pulled the night light into bed with him had found a book and was "reading". At least doing that he was quiet so I just went to bed. I found out the next day that about 15 minutes later he had come out and watched TV with his dad for another hour or so. We've tried EVERYTHING we can think of. He shares a room with his brother and we've tried taking his "best buddy" away from him after a while so he has to sleep alone- didn't work! I told him he had to sleep in my closet the other night because everywhere else he was keeping people up- He went in, managed to TRASH the whole place in pitch darkness and never did go to sleep. Last night we tried saying he could either go to bed or sit on his dad's lap and not move or do anything, He would sit there until he was bored then say he was going to bed and go in his room and play in bed, at which point we'd get him out before he woke his brother up and start the process over. I've tried bribery, begging, yelling, ignoring, EVERYTHING!! So after staying up until 11 or so for the last few nights and getting up at 6 every morning it finally caught up with him and he just crashed on the couch next to me. And how sweet is he when he sleeps?

So I'm enjoying the moment and trying to be grateful for any sleep that comes without a fight, I would have preferred he wait until after lunch to fall asleep but I'll take it.

3 comments:

Stacy and family said...

That is truly adorable. My goodness...is it possible that I remember that blanket from the Glenwood days? Or did you just have one very much like it? Wish I had some suggestions for the sleep problem. Good luck!

Kristi said...

yes that blanket is that old. Thanks to my dear friends who made it for me for my high school graduation. It has gone with me from house to house and is still ticking.

Cambria, Ryan, Taeg, Tripp and Brigg said...

melatonin! it's completely natural. It doesn't nock them out or anything, but it REALLY REALLY helps. you can get it at ALCO.